This is my all-time favorite sweet things! Whats special about this recipe is that is is eggless, so easy to make, needs ingredients that you mostly have in your cupboard and doe not contain loads and loads of fats and sugar like other desserts do! For years, I didnt know what to do with over-ripe bananas but now I wait for the bananas to go ripe so I can use them in this delicious decadent bread.
This bread is not one of those fluffy light breads, its quite rich, moist & gooey to eat but yet doesnt much fat and sugar (as you’ll see below). Whats more? You do not have to make this in a loaf, you can control the overall quantity by baking in muffin tins or smaller loaf tins or paper tins.
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup wholemeal/ wholewheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup dark brown sugar/ muscavado sugar/ light brown sugar (you can use regular white sugar if you do not have brown sugar)
3 large (or 4 small) ripe bananas
1/2 cup plain yogurt (or applesauce)
4 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional or reduce quantity)
1/4 + 1 tbsp dark chocolate chips (optional or reduce quantity)
1. Preheat oven to 175C/350F for 10 minutes
2. Mix the first five dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mash bananas using a fork unti lthey form a thick paste.
3. Stir the butter, vanilla extract and yogurt into the mashed bananas and stir to combine.
4. Add this banana mixture (wet ingredients) to the bigger bowl of dry ingredients.
5. Mix gently with a stapula to combine into a thick lumpy paste. Do not overmix. If it is too dry, you can add a little yogurt to adjust the consistency.
6. Add the chopped walnuts (or other nuts) and chocolate chips and stir gently.
7. Pour the batter into a well greased loaf pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the bread is a deep golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. You can use muffin tins if you wish, makes 8-10 muffins.
Remove on a wired tray to cool and cut into thick slices to serve. You can enjoy simply or with icecream! Enjoy!
Keeps well in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days.